Heinrich Dumser was born on 28 November 1926, in Vienna. In the period 1941-1943 he studied at the Professor’s Hans Kautzki studio; scenography and stage techniques under Professor Nidermozer; figural and portrait drawing under Professor Kepel. He began work as a theatre painter and assistant at the Vienna Volksoper in 1945. He became a Director of the painting studios in the same opera in 1965. In 1967 he took part in an exhibition at Künstlerhaus, Vienna; and in 1968 he took part in an exhibition of the Wien Secession. In 1972 he became an Assistant Director of the drawing schools of all state theaters and taught students of theatric painting. He was awarded the Golden Symbol of Honor of the republic of Austria in 1974. In 1986 he had a solo exhibition within the Vienna festival Weeks. 1990 – Professor of Painting. Died on 3 March 2005.
Professor Heinrich Dumser worked in the field of painting and scenography. He was one of the most prominent theatric painters in Austria, designer of numerous theatric performances and teacher of generations of scenography students. He received his in-depth scenography knowledge from practice, guided by renowned names of the Austrian theatric circles. His painting is highly influenced by his theatric sense of colors and dramatic effect. He achieved expressive, intense states having emotional impact on the senses.
The Sofia Art Gallery presents 69 paintings created within 1983- 2004.